This beauty power player is getting more popular than ever thanks to some ingenious new technologies & formulations.
Vitamin C has been used in one form or another since the 1930s. Here’s everything you need to know about this simply ground-breaking new beauty squeeze.
Not only does vitamin C help to maintain the skin’s structural integrity & reduce the appearance of lines & wrinkles, Dr Justine Kluk, dermatologist for Garnier, agrees that it’s a powerful & effective ingredient. ‘It’s able to neutralise damaging free radicals & visible signs of ageing caused by ultraviolet radiation, smoking & pollution, most importantly though it can help skin achieve a serious glow. It has a brightening effect & can be a useful tool for helping to reduce the appearance of pigmentation’
‘The right concentration is important’ says Dr Mike Bell, scientific skincare advisor at Boots. ‘While vitamin C in different forms can be effective at lower levels, you need concentrations of 5% or more of the most active form of vitamin C- ascorbic acid- for it to have an impact on collagen & skin structural integrity’. If you have sensitive skin you may find a higher concentration causes irritation, plus higher percentages normally mean a higher price tag too, so check the ingredients label & opt for an amount to suit your skin type & your budget.
Here at Skin Care Clinics our Vitamin C range from Dermaquest ‘C Infusion Collection’ contains unparalleled powers of BV-OSC, BV-OSC is 3 times more penetrating than Ascorbic acid & increases collagen production by 50%, it reduces melanogenesis by over 80% & provides UV, collagen & DNA protection, this is a highly potent yet still gentle & stable lipid soluble form of Vitamin C.
It’s all about the formula.
Serums tend to contain higher concentrations of active ingredients than creams or lotions as they are formulated to penetrate deeper in the skin. But serums aren’t the only way to get your daily dose.
Wash off treatments such as cleansers & masks mean your skin is only in contact with the ingredient for a short amount of time, these are ideal for sensitive skins.
Always apply products in order of consistency, from the thinnest to thickest. This is so the most lightweight & usually more potent products can be absorbed more efficiently by your skin, leaving the thicker products such as sunscreen to work at the end.
Suitable for all skin types & tones.
All skin tones are effected by unwanted areas of pigmentation, but dark skin tones are particularly at risk of developing hyperpigmentation because of the increased levels of melanin already present. Some chemical exfoliators or even laser treatments can be far too aggressive so it’s no surprise that those with darker skin may avoid Vitamin C due to its potency & fear it may make existing pigmentation areas worse rather than better.
But worry not as vitamin C can benefit ALL skin types & tones.
Dr Balaratnam says ‘It exists naturally in our skin, so there are no risks associated with its use on dark complexions. In fact, the reverse is true: topical vitamin C can help reduce the appearance of pigmented skin & leave it looking brighter.’
When introducing any new ingredient/product to your beauty regime always acclimatise your skin by easing it in gently. Start with just using the product 2/3 days a week & if the skin tolerates it well then increase to daily use. However if your skin feels irritated or sensitive after using, then reduce it to one day a week until the skin settles down.
Working from the inside out.
It’s not just Vitamin C in skincare that can help our skin look healthier & glowing, having a healthy diet of foods rich in vitamin C shows on our skin too.
When it comes to Vitamin C, think beyond just oranges. Peppers, broccoli, and strawberries are all high in Vitamin C, which plays a significant role in skin health. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is essential for the synthesis of collagen, a protein which makes up the skin’s integrity.
Do’s & Don’ts of Vitamin C
- Do – keep your product sealed. Vitamin C is unstable & can deactivate when in contact with the air. So keep a tight lid on it, or alternatively look for products with a pump this naturally keeps the product airtight.
- Don’t– store your vitamin C products in direct sunlight. UV can destabilise the formula, so its best kept in a cupboard or drawer away from the sunlight.
- Do – look at the symbol on your product that looks like an open pot, the number on the inside of the pot is the number of months you can use the product once it has been opened before it deteriorates.
- Don’t – use the product if it has changed colour or smells different to how it usually smells, both of these are indicators that the product has gone off.
Dermaquest C Infusion Collection.
You’ve got to C it to believe it. Give rise to glowing, vibrant skin. Blended to energise & enchant, & imbued with orange Stem Cells, our antioxidant –rich blends scavenge free radicals while tightening & evening. Let your skin bloom!
4 Core ingredients of the C Infusion range
- Highly stable, potent & soothing form of Vitamin C
- A rich multi-functional antioxidant that scavenges free radicals
- Skin brightening properties that promote collagen production
- Lipid soluble molecule
- 3x more penetrating than L-Ascorbic acid & increases collagen production by 50%
- Antioxidant that prevents anti-ageing
- Conditions, protects & fights free radical damage
- Moisturises & soothes skin
Alpha Lipoic Acid
- Water & lipid soluble antioxidant
- Destroys the y-product of cellular metabolism
- Prevents glycation (reaction of molecules to sugar, creating free radicals)
- Regulates the production of nitric oxide (a signalling molecule), which controls blood flow in skin
- Recycles & extends life of antioxidants Vitamin C & co-Enzyme Q10
Orange Peel Oil
- Increase circulation
- Decreases wrinkles, improves complexion & circulation.
Here’s where anti-ageing begins. This is your preventative ageing collection. Give dull, lifeless skin a boost. Brighten the skin & give a luscious burst of hydration to preserve skins youthfulness, preventing further free radical damage.
Enquire in clinic to receive a FREE skin consultation & assessment with an expert skin specialist, here we will tailor a skin journey plan to suit your needs.